Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 3 July 2012

Lady Lainey does good!




Most weekends( sometimes on Durham or Yorks match days  Dame Didi  (my super sister) steps into my Jimmy Choos) I Lady Lainey don my disguise of being Mrs Ordinary, and go forth to the local cricket clubs ( Shildon BR & Marton Cricket Club) and dispense much needed nutrition to the men who have given their all out on the cricket field.

 I do this task in recognition of the men who stand out in  all weather ( and this year we can have four seasons in one afternoon!), playing for their local clubs.

Shildon BR is a club that is close to the heart of all my family, my uncles and cousins have all played there  for many many years and one of my cousin the wonderful Rt Hon Robbo Jnr has only recently renounced the throne of chairman after 100 years ( well about 20 give or take a year!). He is a true cricketer and loves the game whole heartedly. And I salute him. His father  also played cricket here,my Uncle Rt Hon Robbo Snr ( Jim to his mates).
 As you can tell cricket is in my blood. In the olden days ( you know when everything was in black and white!), my mummy ( Her serene highness)  and aunts ( The Dowager Duchesses) would tip up at the  club with plates of sandwiches and cakes and pies etc for the men to scoff. Make bucket loads of 'builders' tea for them to wash it down with and then clear up the mess afterwards as well. The ladies would be rewarded with a sweet sherry and a smile. What more could a girl dream of.
But now in the days of glorious technicolour, no mums or wives etc want to make the teas at these clubs and so I, Lady Lainey go forth and provide much needed refreshment to the 'boys'. My baps are the talk of the league!

Marton CC is worth a mention , a wonderful club with very friendly members. This club is on the 'cusp' of two counties. Durham and Yorkshire but I know that they are  really in Yorkshire ( well they dress it up as Cleveland but in my book there is no such place, its the North Riding of Yorkshire no mistaking). It is also very close to the birthplace of myself and as such is a fine and noble area :-)

And so if you are at a loose end over weekends this season and find yourself at either of these two clubs, look out for a tall curly red haired lady dispensing tea and orange juice along with fresh cream scones ,
 please don't give the game away.  For it is I and they have no idea that Lady Lainey is amongst them!

No comments :