Powered By Blogger

Saturday 7 July 2012

ODI ( not text speak for 'oh deary ' or is it?)






Well I Lady Lainey had a very pleasant surprise a couple of weeks ago, when ‘Would like to be Lord Lainey’ produced tickets to go to the ODI at Emirates Durham ICG. (Or as the purists amongst us call it, ‘The Riverside Ground’!) to see England take on the Australians.
He had been given these tickets by a 'friend' so I am hoping that

A)    We make it through the gate!
B)      I don’t have to sit on anyone’s knee! (poor them!)
C)    We aren’t sitting with hoards of children ( see T20 blog)
D)    It is on the ‘boundary’ more or less ( Lady Lainey’s usual position)

And today is the day. To say that I am excited is an understatement and preparations at LT Towers have been frantic since Thursday. (Mainly due to a clash of commitments in my diary, I should be administering sustenance to the cricketers at Shildon !) However as a last resort I have drafted in eldest sister M’lady De Misery to do the honours! Luckily at the 11th hour the teas were cancelled so that saved me from constant moaning and winging from M'Lady.

And so to the job in hand,

Tasty Morsels prepared and packed        √
Flasks of piping hot coffee                       √
Blanket & seat pads                                √
Wild orange curls tamed (well nearly)      √
Make up on                                            √
Thermal underwear on                            √ ( nothing worse than a draught up your ‘kilt’!)
Chosen handbag and shoes                     X L (still ongoing!)


So I am ready for ‘Would like to be Lord Lainey’ to arrive. (Well shoe less and with an array of handbags spread out on the bed!). I hear his ‘fairy footsteps’ downstairs and shout out my dilemma. After a string of expletives the gist of his response was ‘why do you need a handbag? And who cares which shoes you wear’.
Now I Lady Lainey am not prone to hissy fits but I can tell you one never leaves the house without trusty handbag and matching shoes!

To save this turning into a full scale row, I tell the ‘Would like to be Lord Lainey’ that in that case he can put my eyeliner, lipstick, blusher and brush, pack of hand wipes, and tissues, pen, mints, and gloves, umbrella, spare cardigan ( I stop there for fear of him blowing a gasket!) into his jacket pockets. And more to the point as I cannot take said handbag (which would obvious contain my purse) he would be paying for all liquid refreshment for the day (And as he has been commissioned to do some writing for TV, hopefully he will free the moths from his wallet and buy moi a case of ‘P Louis Martin champagne too!)

 I strap on a pair of sandals. hoping that the rain stays away!.

And we are finally in the car and we head off to the A1…………………


To Be Continued

No comments :