Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 14 May 2013

Bruce Ritchie Revisited






As many readers will remember back in October I reported the very sad loss of great friend and wonderful teacher, Mr Bruce Ritchie.

Apart from being a wonderful and funny man he was also a great cricket fan and was Master in Charge of cricket at Merchant Taylors school for many years. His devotion to the sport was evident and his day at the Test Matches were something that he looked forward to. His love of digestive biscuits was nearly as strong as this.

He also taught English and was always ready to talk about books whenever given the chance. He and I spoke often about many of the books that I loved, most especially Brideshead Revisited. He gave me a copy that he 'had spare' and I still to this day read this book once a year, and never fail to get lost in the story.

A friend on Facebook had posted a link to the BBC website last night which I read with great interest and also with a tear in my eye.

The link was reporting on the sale of a collection of books by a 'teacher from Stirling', Bruce. The list of books, from first day covers to signed copies actually read like a library list and as I read I remembered calling Bruce one Sunday evening when he told me that he was 'glad that I called as it has given me a break from doing the mundane chore of dusting my books'.

There are also works by one of my favourite poets Seamus Heaney who I studied for A' level and whom Bruce and I often discussed.

This is a collection of books that show one mans love of literature, a love that he passed onto his pupils and all those around him.I know this personally and I will always be grateful to have known this wonderful man.

If you are interested in reading the article please see the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-22502341


and if you are wondering why there is not a picture today................the stupid flipping uploader isn't working!!!

4.15pm finally got the uploader working!!.

No comments :