Powered By Blogger

Monday 14 July 2014

Back to the real world!



And so after a fun packed cricket week last week, today it is back to the 'real' world and super swanky Lady Lainey office and all that this entails, which at the moment is actually doing some work!!!!.Oh yes the days of shouting at boys, drinking copious amounts of coffee and looking pretty for 7 hours are as much of a distant memory as are waking up last week with Geoff Boycott staring at me from the picture on my hotel wall!.

However I did manage to cram in another day of cricket yesterday, well sort of a day. After reporting that we had rain over night on Saturday I left you yesterday with the thought that the sun was poking through the clouds, well it wasn't because the heavens opened about two seconds later and watered in my 'weed and feed' that  I had put down in the Deer Park.

Mr (not so) Grumpy phoned to say that he had insider information re the match at Chester le Street, and that if it didn't rain any more, play would start at 11.45am.
Mr Funky the Chauffeur had already tipped up and was loading the car so we picked up Pauly Paul and set off anyway.

After sitting under brollys and scoffing lunch early, play finally started after 2pm.
Durham took to the field and after a couple of quite early wickets Warwickshire  dug in and ended the days play on  256-5. luckily we had no more rain and even had lots of sunshine.
Hastings was the pick of the bowlers, and the bowling coach very gallantly apologised for his use of strong language ( it was stronger than 'flip'!!!) on Friday evening when I was in ear shot. Not necessary as I hear worse than that on a daily basis from the office boys!!! It could have been worse, it could have been the 'Strauss word'!!!

After all the flack I took last week ( and yesterday) about my love of all things Tykey, I was making furtive glances at twitter to see how 'my boys' were doing at their T20 bash at Chesterfield. I was pleased to see that His Royal Ryanness was playing again although I am seriously hoping that he gets some rest and is at Scarbados next week when I don my socks and sandals and knotted hankie for my weekend at the seaside.

Well they did not disappoint, as they are still on track for T20 quarter finals. Alex Lees  helped them along with an unbeaten 69, giving them a 59 run win over Derbyshire.
Wickets were taken by  Williamson, Lyth, Pyrah, Rafiq and Rashid, but HRR did take a catch which was a result in my book ( and yes I know that I am VERY biased).


It was a great day and a great end to my cricket fest, made all the better by little Henry Rushworth, tipping up at The Riverside and looking very pleased to see me, albeit because he knew I had sausage rolls and chocolate! You see it is true the way to a man's heart is through his stomach!

No comments :