Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 25 February 2015

Ode to cricket past


When I was a child no bigger than a gnat
My mother  would make me wear my sun hat
Whilst Dad dragged me to the cricket club, Shildon BR
To watch cousins score runs, which even rain couldn’t mar

Around a small TV set tuned to BBC for the Test
Would be where the ‘older’ chaps would go for a rest
Black and white picture, with well turned out teams
Playing for their country, living their dreams.

Today it is all about sponsorship and cash
Diamond earrings and cars so flash,
Parading out with a ‘sleeve of tattoos’
So overly confident, ‘How can WE lose’.

Strong language on and off the field
No thought of the negative impact this would yield.
Touring with the team, hard drinking nights
Out and about getting in fights.

No respect for coaches or even their teams
An unfair description? Well that’s how it seems,
‘Too much too young’ could sum it up
Drinking heavily from their overflowing cup.

Now I’m an adult, taller than most
I drive most weeks to watch Durham host.
And see this behaviour rife at county games
Arrogance and egotism, I won’t name names

Shouting, swearing and bat throwing a-plenty
No walk to the pavilion, steady and gently
Ignoring spectators, being overly curt
Hadn’t anyone realised that the player’s pride is hurt!

‘The Game of Gentleman’, yes it used to be
Now it’s a game of ‘How much is my fee?’
Maybe I’m wrong, but I speak as I find
And shockingly I know that I am being kind.

The old days are gone and new rules apply
The old guard are out and youngsters are on high
Every year I still get my membership ticket
You see what ever I say, I really love cricket.


No comments :