Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 19 May 2015

What's it all about?



As I stood in the indoor market in Lady Lainey workville yesterday, queuing behind two ladies with their matching 'Michael Kors' handbags, discussing their golf lessons and personal trainers, I began to wonder 'what is it all about?'.

Is life all about having the latest 'must have' handbag?
A brand new car?
Living in a certain area?
Having 3,000,000 followers on twitter or  Facebook?

Well I don't and don't want to drive a brand new car ( I have in the past and it doesn't make you happy).
I lived for nearly 20 years in one of the most exclusive and wealthy  areas of North West London. This did not mean that you had drinks parties round at the neighbours ever night, as you mostly did not know or see your neighbours.

I don't ( or want to) have golf lessons ( I would rather poke sticks in my eyes), and I know that the car you drive does not emulate the person you are.

I have a friend with a very success business, all the trappings that go with it and a very flash, very fast performance car.His life however is far from what it should be looking at the trappings of wealth.
it's funny to realise that happiness is not about how much money you have, what you spend it on, or who you mix with.

happiness is what you make for yourself.

it is not about spending huge amounts of money, I spent less than some people spend on a packet of cigarettes and had the most amazing morning touring Headngley earlier in the year, some may not find that a joy, but to me it was money well spent.

My love of cricket is not every ones cup of tea, but it is something that makes me happy, from watching internationals to watching club or school cricket. the pleasure of spending a day in sun, wind rain and sometimes snow cannot have a monetary value put onto it.

This is what makes me happy.

And sometimes it is a good thing to sit back and reflect on things, are the Baccarat crystal glasses  really needed, how many Piaget watches do you need?

Life is what you make it, sometimes it is not the easiest journey and you may feel that the trappings make it better,  but in the long run.............you can't take them with you.

No comments :