Powered By Blogger

Saturday 23 April 2016

St Georges' Day



It is St Georges' Day, a day that should see all English people wave flags and  celebrate, sadly 90% off the English are still nursing hangovers from celebrating St Patricks' day!!!

St George was a Roman soldier who was born in ( what is now) Turkey, he grew up in a wealthy Christian family.
It was announced that  all Roman christian soldiers should denounce their faith, which George refused and was beheaded on 23rd April 303
Did he ever slay a dragon? sadly not.
He was adopted as the patron Saint of England in 1327 by King Edward III.
a patron saint did not have to be form the country they were adopted by, just embody the characteristics the Country wanted to portray to the outside world.
In this case a devout Christian.

sadly St Georges' Day often slips by unnoticed  although he is also the patron saint of other countries too, including Portugal, Malta, Ethiopia and The Palestinian Territories.

I hope that all the English readers will raise a glass to the  dragon  slayer (not) tonight.

It is also the birthday of William Shakespeare, the man who struck fear into the heart of many schoolchildren, but  transported me away  in a flurry of words.

I studied some of the best and the worst ( in schoolchildren land) plays including, A Midsummer Nights dream, Julius Caesar, Coriolanus, Macbeth, &  A Winters Tale. And spent many happy weekends in Stratford upon Avon visiting his birthplace and the theatre.

I loved school! yes really I did!.



Today has dawned bright after torrential rain overnight, so already there is washing on the line and the dishwasher is on.

I have lots to do before I head off to meet Middx CCC President and First lady  ( it will be like the visit of The Obamas but without the body guards!).


'My boys' are heading off to Birmingham in preparation for their 4 day game.
I am hoping that His Royal Ryanness is in full wicket taking mode and that TLJL gets another crack at batting.

And now I am off to throw myself into the shower and sort out the orange birds nest.

Happy St Georges' Day

No comments :