Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 19 April 2016

Yorkshire, day 2 and someone has a birthday



As if it could get any better...............................

well it did,

 Yesterday dawned windy and overcast however this was no deterrent to Jonny Baistow, who went out and  hit his double century and  his highest ever FC score of 246.

I am guessing there were some tears of joy in a certain area of the ground, from Mummy Bairstow, I know there were some tears over by the 'Book Stall' which is where I was when it happened!

Liam Plunkett joined him and hit his century and his highest ever FC score  126.

 and most of this scoring was before lunch!!!  sadly  both  were out not long after that, too much plum crumble and custard?

It did however put my boys well and truly in the driving seat. To say that Hampshire looked to be bowling poorly is an understatement, they also looked a little  bit jaded by 2.15pm!

I watched most of this from the warmth of my hotel room, but to be honest it was the best place to be and as I watched Michael Carberry down on the boundary looking as if he was freezing, I think that I had the right idea.

Yorkshire declared on 593

And it didn't stop there, oh no!!

I had no sooner got settled back into my window seat with a cup of coffee and a couple of ginger nuts, then His Royal Ryanness only chuffing well took a wicket.
And by close of play he had figures of 2-15 and a FC wicket haul total  of 708.

Liam Plunkett also had a good day with the ball with figures of 2-31.

I tell you these boys were on fire and at stumps Hampshire were 141-5.

Regular readers will know I have a love of Hampshire, when I lived in the south I used to head off to Southampton to see them play .
I remember when their Director of Cricket, Giles White was just starting out in the 2nd's!!!


I had a quick wander up into Headingley after close of play and then bumped into wonderful guide dog Queenie and her 'other half'. After a quick pat ( Queenie) and chat I headed off 'up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire', I was exhausted, I felt like I hit a century!

 And today????

Well it is my last day here today and I am expecting great things. Hants have to score 444 to avoid the follow on.........................


................and finally



today is the birthday of Gillespie the Gallant, yes he is celebrating his '21st' birthday!

And it's 10 years since he hit his double century!!!!

Happy Birthday coach, I am expecting that the boys make you smile a lot today!


No comments :