Powered By Blogger

Saturday 31 December 2016

Review of 2016








January

Well January  started with I, Lady Lainey going 'dry' for a month to raise money and awareness for 'Cricket without Boundaries' and ' Yorkshire Cancer Research'. I thought that I might get through to lunch time on New Years Day but blow me if I didn't go the whole month and a bit more without any alcohol touching my lips!
The sad news of the month was the passing of David Bowie. Such sad news.
The cover of the album Diamond Dogs is one that used to terrify me as a child!



February

February saw me taking a tumble down the stairs at super swanky Lady Lainey office and suffering a very nasty coccyx injury which would last to nearly the end of the year.
we found a racing pigeon in the office car park, it had been blown off course by very high winds.
He was the cause of much merriment in the office a we found him a home ( in an archive box) and waited for the local 'pigeon man' to come and get him. he was from Scotland and finally got home. He was ( unknown to us them ) the first of the office pets of the year.
Dame Didi and I had a day out in Leeds and you just know that it would be a messy one!

March

We saw the passing of New Zealand cricketer Martin Crowe, more sad news.
Also one of my great school friends lost her Dad and within days her beautiful Rottweiler Zena passed away too. too much sadness.
I toddled along to The Riverside Ground to meet Dr Dean Allen the author of the fab book.



My injury to my coccyx was not getting any better and every day was a struggle to just get out of bed.
My boys were out in The UAE and we were treated to regular updates via 'TBTV'
the highlight had to be HRR having his toe 'operated' on!


April

Finally April arrived and the prospect of cricket. on the 1st I trundled off to Darlington CC to see Dizzy and Cally in action.
I made my prediction for the season and placed Middlesex 2nd to Yorkshire...........well it could have happened!
It was announced that Notts wonder boy James Taylor would be retiring forthwith because of a heart complaint, shocking  news.
I headed off to Headingley to see the boys take on Hampshire, and here were centuries a plenty.
coach celebrated his birthday and also the anniversary of his 201 knock.
I met up with El Presidenti and First Lady of Middlesex in Durham. and then match at Chester le street was hit by SNOW! yes really!!!


May

The Chairman of Yorkshire decided that to raise some money for charity he would face an over of Liam Plunketts bowling, and lived to tell the tale and get lots of money too!
I was working too hard at Super Swanky lady Lainey office and also driving to Headingley quite a lot.
his Royal Ryanness was injured and we were not getting any 'Yupdate' I was beside myself.
Rumours began circulating that Coach would be heading to Australia  for a job with the national team, I was not best pleased!


June
 'Carparkgate' at the Headingley Lodge was resolved  which meant that I no longer had no walk from Siberia to the Hotel.
T20 was in full swing and I hate to say it but I was enjoying it.
however back at Super Swanky Lady lainey office 'loorollgate' started, I turned into 'hercules' Robinson trying to discover the thief. The culprit remains at large still, but I keep the loo rolls under lock and key!
I went to watch Yorkshire take on Worcestershire.............the least said about that the better! I had my one and only wobble about the boys and broke my own heart putting it into print.

It was also a chance to meet up wit Sophie at Headingley where the weather spoilt cricket so we seemed to do the Otley run, me barefoot!

July



the first weekend of July saw me off to the seaside to meet up with POM & FLOM of Middlesex. We had 2 great evenings and 3 good days of cricket although sadly for us Middx came out on top.
I was 'sent' TLJL, but I had to return him to the pavilion. FLOM said 'what a lovely young man, what a lovely smile'. See it's not just me!
Work continued to be demanding as we took on more projects and I was drowning in paperwork.
I was once again struck down with tennis elbow and the list of injuries/illness continued to grow. 


August

Yorkshire made it to finals day at Edgbaston and Janey , Alan and I headed off. I screamed my support for the boys ( well TLJL) sadly it was to no  avail and we didn't make it to the final. Met up with Sophie and Terry there and also Susan, a really good if long day out.


Back home quick change around and a hideous infection in my nail, which was prodded and pierced and then I was given antibiotics to try to sort it out.
I was then  off to Scarbados, where I  met TLML, she had seen me at Finals Day. The shame of it!
 We were not looking too  good on the County Championship side of things but my faith never wavered.
I was gearing up for the final push.
met the lovely jack Russell again and as it had been his birthday we had cake to celebrate.
I was at Headingley over the bank holiday and on the Monday they announced that coach was leaving at the end of the season.
We had to win the championship!

September

Well September did not see me slowing down at all on the any  side of life. I started the month in partying as Dame Didi was having a big birthday,and ended it at Lords!
Didi had her bash at the cricket club ( where else) and all the family got together for what was a great evening.

I went off to Lords where I spent 2 amazing days with some great friends and where I acquired a very valuable teddy bear called Arthur.
I was also caught on Sky numerous times but mainly for crying when my boys lost!
Also had my last catch up for the season  with 'El Presidenti and the First Lady of Middlesex'

And as you can see managed to finally bagged a pic with HRR!!!


And then it was over,  we were without a coach and no silverware.

October

Much to my surprise I was asked to write a review on the marvellous book 'All wickets great and small' by John from 'Cricket Yorkshire'
This managed to fill a void.
Other than that October was cold and miserable as I went into my post season decline,
And I had to go to work !

November

Started with the very sad news that Pete Burns had sadly passed away. Pete was part of my 'youth' and I had seen him and Dead or Alive many times. love him or hate home, he was a great entertainer.

I headed off to 'HQ' for an out of season evening at The Lodge'. Where after drinks and nibbles, Clare, Olivia and I went to see the brilliant play 'When the eye is gone', about the brilliant and tragic life of Colin Milburn.

I also celebrated my '21st' birthday although that very cheeky chappy the Chairman of Yorkshire was spreading scandalous rumours that I was 60!!!!
England has a hit and miss time in India and were dropping like flies.
I set to on 2 courses to steer me in a completely different direction work wise, but will not really start these until the first week of the new year.


This little man, Murphy  tipped up at our office on my birthday and was with us for 10 days. He was a delight and I cried when he finished all his work ( well his Daddy did) and went home for good.

December

The cricmas tree was up and the chateau was gearing up for the arrival of Pere Noel.


I developed pleurisy..................its been some year for illness.
My Etsy shop went into overdrive for Xmas so there was a lot of clicking of knitting needles.

The whole office headed off to London for our Christmas bash at The RAC club. The least said about the office boys behaviour the better!!!

We lost numerous famous people this month, George Michael being just one. Its been a terrible year for the music/showbiz world

Lastly if you have any Christmas money left over then and are a cricket lover, I would urge you to buy and read 3 books in the New Year

The Good Murungu  Alan Butcher
All wickets Great and Small  by John Fuller
Empire War and Cricket by Dr Dean Allen

And that's 2016 in a nutshell.

Here's to 2017!!!

Happy New Year

No comments :