Powered By Blogger

Saturday 26 November 2016

Saturday sermon


Today I am not talking cricket but am talking about the brave men who made/make up The Guinea Pig Club.

These gentlemen were airman severely burned during World War II and became patients of Archibald McIndoe, who treated them at Queen Victoria hospital, East Grinstead.
This was pioneering surgery for severely burnt patients who may otherwise have died from their injuries.


The club was a 'social/drinking'club giving the men who may have remained at the hospital for many years more normality.

By the end of the war 80% of the club were made up of  crew from Bomber Command.

Some of the men resumed duties with  the RAF some as pilots, and those unable to serve were paid in full until the last operations were performed.
It is reported that McIndoe loaned money to some men to help them back into civilian life

The surgical procedures were in their infancy but as of this month their are still 17 of these brave men still with us. I think that it speaks volumes about the skill and determination of these surgeons.

Why am I telling you this?

Well as the niece of an RAF serviceman I wanted to bring this to your attention, and also, as many of you know I have a scar on my face the result not of burns but of glass and I truly believe that the advances that the surgeons made during the war got me to where I am today.

For this I will be eternally grateful.
A very brave group of men  and  not only English, but from many different countries.

This month The Duke of Edinbrough unveil a plaque dedicated to the club at The National Memorial  Arboretum. A fitting tribute.



And I know I said no cricket but England collapsed before lunch!









No comments :