Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 17 November 2021

Aurora Borealis


 

Last night/early this morning was my trip to hopefully see the northern lights., this is not guaranteed and  I was not going to be upset if I didn't see them.

We headed out of the city at what would have been my bed time, driving for an hour inland to a barren and snowy area with mountains and a few trees. Stark but beautiful.

Nobody living there, in fact on the drive apart from other tours, there was not a car on the road.

On arrival we got off the bus and found a place to watch the sky.

The sky was clear with just a few clouds and lots of stars.

This for me was  brilliant I am a proper little star gazer. I did spot Orions Belt and the plough, and was totally fascinated by the big skies.

After about 2.5 hours we were all given hot chocolate which by this point we needed, still no sign of any lights. 

We headed back to the coach, got on and  got set to go home......and then the guide spotted what he knew as a tell tale sign that the lights were coming.

This was a faint arc  of light over the sky like smoke, grey and then slowly changing colour,

Everyone got off the coach and despite the sub zero temperature, we spent half an hour watching the most amazing sight.

My pictures taken on my phone, were not great but to be honest I was so enthralled by the whole phenomenon, I was lucky to remember to take any. 

Its hard to describe, as the seem to dance across the sky and  twist and turn. They disappear and then reappear in a different form. Last night predominantly green, but they can be purple and red.

We eventually headed home and seemed to be followed by the lights, I sat watching a toned down version over the city.

It would not have spoilt my break if I hadn't seen them, but it certainly made it memorable to see this natural lightshow.


No comments :