Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 16 November 2021

Things to do in Reykjavik

 


 So after a good nights sleep, I was up and ready for 7am breakfast. Yep me and all the Americans in the hotel, some serious eating going on there!

I have to say that the rye bread is the best that I have ever had and as such I had 3 slices!

I was out of the hotel at 9am, it was still dark, I had my map, rough idea where I wanted to go and in true Lady Lainey style just wandered off hoping I would get there.

I found my way to 'Rainbow Street' 



and headed up  to Hallgrimskirkja the Lutheran Cathedral.



It was snowing as I wandered up the road, and too early to go into the cathedral as it still wasn't 10am

So I decided to go and have a coffee. in the shadow of the cathedral.



I had a coffee ( which I was told could be refilled as much as I liked) and a 'Bow' which is an Icelandic pastry, well its more of a deep fried, vanilla flavoured doughnut. It was gorgeous.  I went to pay and head to the cathedral, when the lady serving asked me if I didn't want a refill. I said I was going, she said it was OK they would give me my refill 'to go'. Can you see that happening in the UK???

The cost, just over £5.

And the cathedral, well it was breathtaking and I was there for over an hour without even realising. Constructed between 1945 and 1985, it is one of the most truly magnificent modern cathedrals I have been to, ( taking over from Coventry).

I then had a slow wander back through the streets taking in the construction and design  of the buildings ( yes I am a geek).

My next stop was 'The Icelandic Phallological Museum.


I now know quite a lot about the 'equipment' of a lot of animals on the planet as well a fish. and mammals.
I decided to stay at the museum for lunch, which did not disappoint.

I opted for duck confit waffle ( they like waffles both sweet and savoury here) 



It was  really good.

Cost with beer about £25.


I set off down to the harbour to get my wotnots frozen off, sleet and snow whipping round any exposed flesh. ( believe me I had nothing exposed!.)

Then stopped off for icecream ( yes I know its cold but lots of  Icelanders seem to do it) and today it was creme brulee and Tiramisu. Yummy.



 As I came back to the hotel I passed a house with a hydrangea outside...............thats some hardy hydrangea.



Now I am watching TV with a coffee and my feet up as I will be heading out at 8.30pm to go Aurora hunting.


Fingers crossed.





No comments :