Powered By Blogger

Friday 29 May 2020

A strange dream





Yesterday I woke up in the early hours of the morning, and the dream that I had woken up from had been very vivid, as I was trying to clear the sleep fog from my head I suddenly was transported to a holiday many years ago.

As you will know by now there is a tale to tell and what I saw in my dream will be at the end, so if you want to cut out the memories, just skip to the end.

Jon and I had gone to stay in his bosses villa up in the North East of Spain, ( the 'expensive bottle of fizz' holiday).
We had flown into Barcelona but I was flying back to Heathrow from Valencia as Jon was meeting his boss and his Dad there to go and look at some land that his Dad owned near Javea.

We took the hire car up to Figueres and bought our train tickets, and spent a 'Daliesque' day before boarding the train late afternoon.

The train was one with compartments and  had a million stops on the near 6 hours journey.
People got on and off , food was eaten, Ducados cigarette smoke hung heavily in the compartment, even with windows prised open it wouldn't disperse.
We eventually arrived at Valencia station, tired and hungry. It was dark ( October 31st) and we needed to find a hotel. ( before the days of Booking.com).

Across the road from the station stood an hotel ( I cannot remember its name , but it is now a rather impressive place called Vincci Lys).
They had a room and we paid a very small amount of money for the night  and headed up to the 3rd floor. Each floor had a seating area with a TV and sofas, coke machines and a machine selling snacks.
We were starving but too tired to head out to eat, so grabbed some snacks and went off to our room.

We entered and found a sofa and chair, TV and fridge ( empty). I looked for a cupboard with bedding thinking that we had a sofa bed, Jon put on the TV and settled down to eats his crisps.

I flopped down and snoozed for a bit, then decided we should make the bed up, I headed through the closed door that I assumed was the bathroom......................no it was the bedroom with a huge bed, a bathroom off that the size of a ballroom and a balcony that faced the station and from which we could watch Valencia go by.
I ran a bath and Jon went off in search of bread and wine, and returned with just that. We sat watching the city go about its business until tiredness finally hit, we fell asleep with the bedroom TV showing Ghandi dubbed in Spanish!

Next morning ( 1st November) was All Saints Day and as such there was not a lot open, we managed to find a 'restaurant' ( greasy Joes café) and somehow I thought I was getting mushrooms, sausages and egg, but ended up with kidneys, sausages and egg,( the picture on the wall looked like mushrooms), something that neither of us could eat.

We dragged our bags to the station to get the train to the airport, and then we spotted it, the thing that came to me in my dreams. A vending machine, but not just any vending machine.
This one made and dispensed chips!!!

You put in your pesetas ( not potatoes) and it sprang into action, you could hear oil heating up, potatoes going into oil and frying and then they were dispensed, flipping red hot!

Now this machine was in my dream, I have no idea why, it was probably the most dangerous vending machine ever, but we spent a fortune on chips whilst we waited for our train. ( we found the whole thing thoroughly entertaining)

I have no idea why I dreamt about it, but I'm sure you wish I hadn't.

If you waded through all of that, well done.

Times are hard, news is  low on the ground.

have a great weekend






No comments :