Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 17 November 2020

Birthday week continues

 


Birthday week continues as I am on holiday, which reminded me of the birthday holiday I had to celebrate my 18th. 

We were in Tunisia for just over 3 weeks on holiday to celebrate my 18th, it had been a difficult year with me being in a near fatal car accident and having a lot of injuries to recover from, so my Mum and sister and I headed to North Africa for a bit of winter sun.

Flying out of Heathrow I bumped into Dee (Dave)Harris of band Fashion, he was really lovely chatted for a while before heading off to Hamburg. ( a few years later he teamed up with Richard Wright of Pink Floyd to record an album, Dave is now better known on the jazz circuit)

Flew into Tunis and whisked to Port El Kantaoui by taxi. The Port was very new at this time, a few hotels and apartments, beautiful marina and shops, not at all like the gaudy show that I saw a few years ago.

We were staying at the brand new Diar El Andalous apartments which were stunning, we were in a 2 bed apartment which was absolutely enormous, huge living area with a raised seating alcove, kitchen, large bathroom and 2 bedrooms. We were on the ground floor in an enclosed courtyard.

Stunning.

We spent the first few days walking and swimming and trying to to make sense of the menu at the one site restaurant. Our favourite was the translation to English for grapefruit juice. 'Creepsfruit juice' will always stay with me.

One afternoon we came back to the apartment to have a nap, and were then disturbed by constant mewing, opening the front door, we saw one of the feral cats that roam the grounds, giving birth on the door mat. 

My sister phoned reception and was told no of course it isn't. She said it is and there are a few kittens there already. Moments later the cat and the mat are removed, and a new mat put in place.

We were trying to figure out what to do for my actual birthday and were pointed in the direction of a town called Kazama to get a cake made, the best cakes according to everyone we spoke to.

the weather had turned and there was a lot of rain, which showed no sign of letting up. We dressed appropriately and still got out and about. Getting home one afternoon Mum went to put things in a kitchen cupboard.................only too open the door to water running down the walls. The courtyards were starting to flood, we went to help the staff brush water from the walkways down to the drains which were not coping too well.

I say this is quite a matter of fact way, when in act we were over knee deep in water trying to sweep it away from the complex  area.

The place was actually flooding, sand bags appeared at our door and we were then called and informed that we should pack and be ready to move next morning................my birthday!

These were the worst rains in 30 years and the newer hotels and apartments had not been built to withstand  this.

The sun came out again on the 15th November,we were in the reception waiting for taxis when we were called up to a room above the restaurant, there were drinks( non alcoholic for the staff) and cake the biggest cake I have ever seen, I went back to reception which was now empty ( all staff were upstairs) apart form 2 German men, who I asked to join us.

It turned out that they were being moved to the same apartments as us, so we made a morning of it

.I am not sure how many time that Happy Birthday was sung, I just know that it always makes me want to cry when it is sung to me.

Then all 6 of us were put into a louage and off on our journey.

We moved down the coast to Sousse ( a place we knew well) and stayed at The Nejma just off the Corniche, with glorious city and sea views.


Luckily the rest of our holiday went without incident, and was truly memorable. We also made great friends in Gunther and Stefan the two Germans ( or Bavarians as they preferred to be referred to).

Never one to have a 'normal' birthday(or holiday for that matter)


and lastly, wonderful word of the day


Adaw

a combination of two old English word, meaning to wake up or recover consciousness.


Have a great day 




No comments :