Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 24 November 2020

Gary

 


It was with huge sadness that this morning a lot of us became aware of the sudden passing of Gary.

A huge Yorkshire CCC fan, with the biggest smile you have ever seen.

He was a man who had many friends at Headingley and other grounds.

I was very lucky to have known him since I first started going to Headingley on my own, we would chat about many things and surprisingly we  both shared a love of the United Services Ground at Portsmouth, him due to being in the services and myself through visiting many times to watch Hampshire.

We would share a cup of coffee from my 'bottomless' flask and one of his birthdays we spent a couple of days celebrating with fizz ( alcoholic and non alcoholic) and cake.

I went to AGM's and would often sit with him, we would discuss Yorkshire in great detail. 

He talked to me a lot when I sponsored Ben and Tom, telling me that many years ago he sponsored a player ( he never said who) and that the player still took the time to speak when he saw Gary. He emphasised that support is everything.

Gary loved to tease Sophie and I when we were together at cricket and never failed to come and chat to us both ( even though Sophie is Notts ). 

We had a couple of great cocktail evenings at The Headingley Lodge prior to Yorks V Notts T20, Gary was always great company.

My favourite memory was him being asked by Ollie Rayner to take a photo of all of the Middlesex team on the rattler from Scarborough. Gary always thought it was funny


There are lots of other memories, but like a lot of you reading this I am in total shock.

I consider myself very lucky to have met this wonderful man.

My heart goes out to Dianne and Saskia who were his life.

I am sure that those of you reading this and whose life was touched by Gary will know the sadness that I feel.


Rest in peace Gary


Headingley has lost a great supporter.


No comments :