Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 18 August 2021

That other game

 



I take a lot of ribbing at work because I do not like The Hundred.


There is hardly a day goes by without  the boys trying to goad me.

So why am I not a fan?


Well, I was born and brought up in a cricket family ( and  I was born in Yorkshire).

My family still support ( and occasionally still play in their 70's) at the cricket club that they have always played at. (  one is currently President)

I remember cricket before coloured clothing and Friday night drinking sessions to 20 /20 overs.

I spent years watching school cricket, and  saw county players as nippers.

I was not a fan of 'pyjamas' in the game, now it denotes that this is not a County championship game to me.

4 day county cricket is still and always will be where my heart is.

I have watched IPL and The Big Bash which although  very 'in your face' and with dancing girls, hot tubs, etc has brought  new viewers to cricket  and as this is a 20/20 format it is the same as a form that is played at both county/state and international level.

So why was there a need to make up a game with different terminology and format?


Its not cricket to me, I think that it will do more harm than good to cricket in this country.

Its dumbed down a great game to a level that I find hard to tolerate.

The BBC has more coverage on its cricket website  to  this game ( which it also has broadcasting rights to too). 


Lets have more county coverage, more support for our counties, more money for our counties instead  of wasting it.

I love County cricket, that's all I can say.


No comments :