Powered By Blogger

Thursday 29 October 2020

Christmas for one part 1 (for meat eaters)

 






Welcome to part one of my 'Christmas for one' although it can be altered to suit 2 /3 or up to 6.

We are all now getting used to the idea that Xmas might be a lot different this year so I thought that I would try to give some tips on how to survive on your own.

I have had many Christmas' on my own and to be honest I enjoy it, I don't have to share the champagne with anyone!!!!


Its a good job that I am not making a vlog, as it would be very reminiscent of the great Keith Floyd!

I thought I would start by giving you my plan of what I do.

22nd/23rd Dec

Buy veg/fruit  and any last minute things that you think that you will need ( an extra bottle of wine never goes amiss)

I haven't touched on meat for the day.
So here is what I do.
As a single person I buy a small turkey crown early December and cut it in half and freeze both pieces. ( the other half can be used at New Year or in January ). I buy a gammon usually at Aldi and again cut in half  and freeze both pieces. 
Now as a cheat for this, places like Aldi and Tesco  ( and possibly Iceland) do stuffed chicken breast rolls and  gammons in the frozen section ( sometimes in the fridges) theses are ideal for one person and any left overs can be used with salad and pickles on Boxing day. These are usually in foil trays and cook in very quick time. 



I have had these in the past and they are perfect for one person, quick and fairly fool proof to prepare.

We are all led to believe that you should have a whole turkey, which isn't practical when on our own. There is no shame in having chicken, or if you are lucky enough to have a butcher who stocks duck breast this is a great alternative.
Local farmers markets may also  provide some alternatives, poussin or quail? Worth a look.




Christmas Eve

Prepare all veg and put in bowls of water ( usually 2 bowls as I do enough veg to last a few days change water daily)
ALTERNATIVELY  you can buy bags of ready prepared veg and stick it in the fridge until Christmas day! even frozen veg if you like it.
Lay the dining room table ( yes I sit at the table)


Put wine/champagne/mineral water in the fridge
Take meat out of freezer
Make chicken liver pate ( if required)
Feel very smug as you are halfway there!
Have a glass of wine to celebrate



Christmas Day

I am always up super early ( 4.30am ish) I just love the peace and quiet, I often go for a walk around the block ( or further) before anyone is up and about.
Home  and I have a dry martini ( yes I do! because I can).

Starters
I personally don't have a starter on Christmas Day, however here are a few quick ideas if you  want to have one.

Smoked salmon salad

In a coupe ( or side plate) arrange some salad leaves, cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Add some smoked salmon.  
Drizzle on a homemade dressing ( wine vinegar, oil lemon juice, Dijon mustard, dried mixed herbs and touch of sugar all mixed together). 
Serve with a slice of brown bread and butter if desired.

Quick Chicken liver pate
1/4lb chicken livers
1.75oz butter
0.75floz double cream
1tsp brandy


Melt butter in frying pan and add chicken livers, cook until coloured on outside and pink inside.
Add to food processor or use hand blender, add cream salt and pepper and brandy, whisk.
transfer to ramekins ( 2 ) cover with cling film and put in fridge. Serve with melba toast either shop bought or home made.
 
Fig and Blue Cheese Salad

Arrange salad leaves on a plate, cut a fig into quarters arrange on leaves. add some apple slices ( this could be left over from the red cabbage see below).
Crumble Roquefort or Gorgonzola cheese over  the top and add chopped walnuts.
A dressing can be added recipe above.

For a cheat  starter buy a luxury ready made soup, heat and swirl  fresh cream on the top. quick and easy


 
Now to the big part.
The meat will be defrosted and as it is only for one person, you do not need to have it in the oven at the crack of dawn. It usually takes less than an hour to cook.
 I use an electric steamer to cook my vegetable and the roast potatoes can go in the oven an hour or so before you want to eat dinner ( roughly same time as meat).
If you are a stuffing lover, there are lots of packet mixes on the market at this time of year. 
If you buy sage and onion you can add dried apricots  and walnuts to the mix to jazz it up a bit. My favourite is chestnut stuffing which I add frozen elderberries to ( foraged in Autumn and frozen).
If you like bread sauce and don't mind a packet mix, then you can make as much as you need.

The main thing about being on your own is that  you can do things at your own pace and not to suit others ( not as selfish as it sounds). 
If you want to watch The Sound of Music for the 10 millionth time before you eat that is entirely up to you.

Vegetable ideas

Brussel sprouts with chestnuts  ( much loved in my house which might explain a lot!)
Roast potato and roast sweet potato ( great combination)
Honey roast carrots and parsnips ( just roast and drizzle some honey on them, alternatively roast with a couple of splashes of balsamic vinegar)
Cauliflower and broccoli gratin ( steam the veg, put in a dish throw some  cheese over and put in the oven until the  cheese melts!)
Red cabbage, layer in a small dish  add some apple cider vinegar, splash of orange juice sliced apple brown sugar and nutmeg,cinnamon and star anise. Cook for an hour with the meat OR cook on christmas eve and reheat 



Now what about gravy, well I suggest that you would make up using granules that way you can make the amount you require. You could cook some onions quickly in the microwave and add for a bit more taste.


Dessert.

You can now buy single Christmas puddings if this is your preferred dessert. I personally don't like it  and so have in the past made; 

Lemon and Ginger fool

Poached pears in red wine with whipped cream

These are very quick and easy to make.


Lemon and Ginger Fool.
This makes 2 so one for tomorrow

3tbsp Mascarpone 
100ml double cream
1tbsp stem ginger syrup ( and small piece of ginger chopped up)
3 ginger biscuits
1-2 tbsp  lemon curd

Mix Mascarpone, cream ginger syrup and ginger with lemon curd
crumble up the ginger biscuits and divide between two small bowls or ramekins or glasses.
Add mixture to and top and put in fridge.
Top with more biscuit crumbs before serving.


Poached Pears in Red Wine

One Pear 
Red wine 
1tsp sugar
Star anise


Peel pear, you can poach it whole or half it.
Put into a pan with wine, sugar and star anise.
Cook slowly until pear is softened.
Remove the star anise before serving 

This can also be cooked on a low heat in the microwave but always watch as its cooking.

Serve with whipped cream.


I rarely eat tea on Christmas day and if I do have anything it is usually cheese and biscuits  and as many chocolates as I can stuff before I feel sick!!!

Any leftovers from lunch can be eaten hot or cold over the next fews days , as you will have prepared some more veg you can have a roast dinner if you  like.

I hope this helps in some way, 

My main priority, is to make my Christmas day  ( and the run up and afterwards) as easy as possible so that I can relax and have time for me.

Its been a testing and strange year and many more of us may be on our own at Yuletide, don't forget to call, video call, FaceTime and message those you love and care about. Sometimes just one message can change someone's day.

If  you want any further info or advice re food please message me and I will try to help. I would also ask that if you are reading this on Twitter that you could retweet so that  it can reach a larger audience, and hopefully give some  help to anyone who may be preparing to be on their own for the festive period.


Look out for part 2 soon which will be vegetarian Christmas food



 



No comments :