Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 16 February 2021

Tuesday already


 So I missed a day yesterday on here, due to other things going on .

At the start of the new year, a friend who is a journalist asked me if I would look at online bullying and whether it is just children and young people.
I was given a list of groups/ facebook pages and asked to select the ones that I would join.
Now I am a member of a few Facebook pages and one in particular is a wonderful, supportive page, just about crafts and trying to have a more 'hygge'. I love it very much and there are members all over the world who are all supportive of any things that are posted.
This is how I thought it would be on all groups that I joined. 

Not so.

Over the last few weeks I  was subjected to abuse and bullying of the worst degree over a couple of groups that I had joined, one about cooking, the other about travel.
What I noticed is that when one  person started to be abusive, others soon joined in.
Most surprising was that they were mostly men and mostly retired according to their profiles. One from the Ministry of Defence!!!

On a some others it ranged from just plain meanness to being quite rude.

I'm currently collating the information for  my friend.
It was an interesting experiment and I have left most of the groups.

Makes you realise that its not just children who are bullied online.
It also made me realise that possibly people are struggling with the effects of the pandemic and this may account for  some of the behaviour. Who knows.
What I have realised is that maybe I spend too much time on social media.

The weekend came and went too quickly although the thought of venturing out in sub zero temperatures with freezing winds was not my idea of fun and once I had done the essential things, I could be found wrapped up in blanky on the sofa.

And then yesterday morning as I looked out of the window at thick fog I was not looking forward to the drive to work. I opened the door to a rush of warm air and all the snow and ice gone overnight!

Result!

Wonderful word of the day

Periapt

Known in the English language since the 16th century, it is a combination of two Greek words , peri, and Haptos.
the word relates to the graphic description of a charm or amulet to keep evil at bay.



I think that I will be needing one of these next time I venture onto an online group!

have a great Tuesday where ever you are, I hope the weather is warmer for you.

take care, stay safe and be kind.





No comments :