Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 21 August 2019

I'm back


Well I am back after my mini holibobs/cricket trip.
What a time its been.

Saturday

Bimbled round the house, supposedly doing constructive things, but in reality I was just waiting to head out of the door and set out to Scarborough.
I set off and in just over 2 hours I was asking a traffic warden where my apartment was.
After nearly having a cardiac arrest getting up  flights of stairs with bags ( and my poorly foot), I was in and waiting for my partner in wine, Sophie.
Never one to let me down she arrived and our 'Scarbados festival' began.

We had a fab dinner ( fabulous from Chef Sophie) lots of wine, chatted with  our favourite drunk mate and went to bed in the early hours ( just)  me fully clothed, the shame of it!

Sunday.

Up with the seagulls as two babies were squealing at their mum for food from stupid o clock.
I made us a hearty breakfast and then we set off to the ground.
Caught up with Mick Cadmore and then got ourselves sorted for the game.
Chairs set down time and relax.....................of course not by 11.30am Yokshire had lost 4 wickets I was  ready to hit the booze!

Luckily Johnny Tatts and Bressy steadied the ship and we went on to make a half way decent score of 232 all out.
Notts went in  to bat and saw the session out.
I managed to catch up with Ted and Norma Kirwan who are in their 53rd festival with the book stand.
Then I caught up with John and Moira Fuller, John was there signing copies of his fabulous book about the Scarborough Festival ( its well worth a read)


Sophie andI headed back to the apartment and the marathon of stairs
We had dinner and wandered out for a drink.....................well that was an experience.
Went to The Albert, I fought ( and I mean fought with some man ) to get to the bar, then I tried to turn round to Sophe only to find that someone was standing on my flip flop...............I turned round to give them a piece of my mind and saw there was no one there, what ever was on the floor was like glue!
Having managed to pull my flip flop off the floor, I managed to move away from the 'alpha males' and Sophie and I went out side .
One drink was enough and we headed back up the dreaded stairs and had wine (obviously).
Early night.

Monday.

Less rough this morning and after a cooked brekky we tidied the apartment and loaded the cars, then set off to the ground, arriving nice and early and having a perambulation around the ground. Stopping to chat to lots of people who know us.....................although Sophe was not so sure she knew them. guilty by association I fear!

We watched Notts try to fight back and hung on until 3pm then headed back to our cars to go home.........except that I didn't, I phoned work, took an extra days holiday, walked round the corner got a room in a non discript hotel and headed back to the ground.

Seriously it was game on!

I was lucky to have extra hols that I could fall back on.

By stumps I was totally sure that we are in for with a champo chance.


off to hotel and in bed by 7.30pm.
exhausted

Tuesday

Up with the seagulls again, bloody things, and this really was my last day, I headed to the ground and  decided to set up camp on the pavilion, last time I did this I was with Harry Latchman and the Middlesex gang.
So took my seat behind John and his mates......................and it was brilliant banter.

Yorkshire continued to put on runs......slowly.
 lunch came, I had a wander around the ground.
Chatting to people as I went, then I met a lovely gentleman called Richard.
We had a lovely conversation and I want to say that because of this man you will be bored to death for a bit longer with the blog.
I had been toying with winding it down, but thanks to one conversation you are all stuck with me for a bit longer ( and hoping I will continue to bore my  troll)

 Before I knew it, it was the witching hour and I had to go home.
as I was en route Notts came back to the crease.
Stumps saw them at 135-4

and today is another day.....................and for me it is another day in the glamorous land of waste water.

I will however be keeping an eye on the scores.

#wecandothis
#ingalewetrust
#comeonyorkshire

I love cricket, I really do!

Thank you to all the lovely people I got to chat with  Mel and Jane, Gary, Jon, Rachel, Dave Bracegirdle and Mrs Bracegirdle,Steve and Jean, Andy Mitchell at Owzat Scarborough, the wonderful Howard  to name but a few, and everybody else who made Scarborough as memorable as usual for me.

see you all soon.







No comments :