Powered By Blogger

Thursday 2 August 2018

Tales on Thursday



Yesterday in the office we were talking about surreal experiences with famous people  and all giving our examples.
One person had sat 2 seats away from Princess Alexandra at the Royal Tournament and had been jokingly told off by the Princess for not joining in the Mexican wave!

Another had organised his leaving party from his job in a European principality by hiring a brand new bar that had opened'
He arranged to meet 'Stef' the owner to pay the money for the open bar, and spent the  rest of afternoon in shock and  slight mortification after walking in and saying to the 'cleaner' he was here to see Stef, the cleaner said 'that's me'.
He then realised that the owner/cleaner was none other than Princess Stephanie of Monaco!


I was thinking about sitting next to Dickie Bird having lunch and then about interviewing my all time favourite bowler  (  and shaking with fear all the way through),  but realised that they would expect a cricket story.
Racking my brain I suddenly remembered  sitting in the kitchen of the mum from the Railway Children, whilst she made me a cup of tea.

yes this really happened!

My friend Jane is the half sister of Dinah Sheridan's children and  back at the turn of the century ( that sounds very old), They came into the office where I was Property manager, to see me and see if I could find a short let for their Mum.

After much begging and pleading ( and name dropping) with Landlords, I secured an apartment in a new build close to Mount Vernon Hospital in Northwood.
I went to see the apartment and it had everything on their  wish list for their Mum, so all was sorted and we awaited her arrival from America where she was living at the time.

They got her moved in and I thought that was that. Until I got a phone call from her asking me to call round.

So off I went thinking that there must be a problem.

I went in and the whole family were there ( I knew Jane's sister in law from washing up after cricket teas at Merchant Taylors, but that is a whole other story!).

Dinah was a lovely lady who hugged and kissed me when I arrived.

So I was seated at the table and she made me a cup of tea.

very nice I thought!

Dinah was talking to me and then said,

' you must have put a lot of thought into getting me this apartment?'

Slightly puzzled I said ' well the landlord wasn't keen on a short let, but I managed to win him over'.

' Well yes but how on earth did you manage to get me THAT view'? and pointed through a small window.

Even more perplexed now, I said ' well it wasn't easy, but as long as you are happy with the view that's great'

The view was not  really that good, it looked over the back of the Prince of Wales pub and had a glimpse of Batchworth Heath and the opening to Moor Park Golf club.

'darling' she said 'that is the best view in the world and brings back many happy memories'

By now I was totally lost, had she had a few drunken nights in the Prince of Wales ( as I had)?

I then explained that I really didn't understand.
and she told me the story of when she was making  'Geneveive' with Kenneth Moore and at one point had to get changed behind a bush.

Well the bush ( which was a prop) was put on Batchworth Heath , near enough on the spot  she could see through her window!!!

Somehow  I had managed to find her a home and one with memories that she loved.


I won the doughnut for the best tale!









No comments :