Powered By Blogger

Saturday 8 June 2019

A trip down memory lane



I sat down at the computer this morning to write about all things crickety, and did what I normally do for half an hour, stare out of the window and watch the world go by, and then I realised that this view will not be mine for much longer.

It made me remember how I was when we first moved here and how things have changed.

Firstly the Chestnut tree.

It was about a third of its size now, but then I was just a sapling myself.Now it is a truly majestic tree and although I dreaded autumn and the leaf fall, the summer always has it in full bloom.

The four houses across the road are much changed from when we arrived.

The end house was lived in by Bella, a stern widow with a heart of gold.
She owned a German shepherd named Sheba, who sat on the front lawn, barking as people walked past.
Bella was a truly remarkable lady, she had lost her husband when she was young with a young daughter, had only one lung and the fruitiest language I, as a 6 year old had ever heard. ( might explain a lot!).

Next to Bella lived Joan and Stirling, who became great friends of Mum and Dad. They went dancing at the weekend and Joan would be dressed in magnificent 'frocks'.
They went away on exotic holidays to Benidorm, Salou and Sorrento.
They still lived in the house when I moved back from London and both attended my wedding, sadly they have both passed away now and the house is lived in by private tenants ( the one who's car I bumped last week).
Next to them lived Peggy, she drove a Mini van and was manageress of the local fish and chip shop and also one in Darlington. She took me to the train station when I went to London for my interview at Merchant Taylors, I had to sit in the back of the van with the newspapers ( yes they were still wrapped in newspaper then ). My fear was that I would get to London smelling of fish ( like her van did!).

The last house in that row was lived in by Mr and Mrs Uttley ( or the 'Muttleys' as they were dubbed in our house, you have to be a certain age to appreciate that one). Mrs Uttley was the manageress of the local bakery at Neville Parade a small group of shops about 5 minutes away.

Across the other road lived Mr and Mrs Ward, they had one daughter Rachel. Mr and Mrs Ward still live in the house and must be at least 100 ( well give or take a decade). I go to see them every Saturday to make sure that they are OK.

To the back of our house lived George, Vera and Neil ( and later Richard), they had a rough collie ( lassie dog) called Caesar. They did get another one called Radar, but it was an absolute menace and went to live else where.
Caesar was a very affable dog and usually had to be as when our Border terrier, Mac, could escape he usually headed to their house to eat Caesars dinner!!!

Times change, life moves on.

I'm moving on now as I am off on a 'dechetterie' run.

Have a great weekend.









No comments :