Powered By Blogger

Saturday 17 November 2018

Lazy daisy



Well I am up and about after a super long lie in, and this week it has not just been me that was celebrating a birthday, also the town that I live in has been celebrating its 70th birthday.

This was the first town to be built under the New Towns act of 1946, and was to be the flag ship design for the new towns that would be springing up in post war England.

 During the war  it has been the site of many munitions factories, due to the constant mist that hung over the area hence giving some natural camouflage for the factories, which in turn were built in grass covered mounds( proper green thinking too), some were still there when we moved here.

The ladies who worked these factories became known as the 'Aycliffe Angels' and I'm proud to say my Mum was one of them.
The commemorative garden at St Claires Church has a  seat dedicated to them.

The first houses that were put up were prefabs which are still there with some tenants currently having a stand off with the local council who are wanting to knock down approx 40 dwellings and put up 600 houses ( OK I have over egged that a little but you get the drift).
Lord Beveridge will be turning in his grave, especially as he even lived here, someone who really lived his dream.

The town may be a shadow of its original design, but it is at this moment my home. The original footprint can still be seen although it is probably now about 3 times larger than was planned.

and with that trip through the history of my town, I am off to walk around the concrete monstrosity that is the 70's rehash of the town centre.

happy Saturday and Happy Birthday Newton Aycliffe.






No comments :