Powered By Blogger

Friday 5 April 2019

sad start to the day



Well its 4.45am and I have been up since 1.30am, when I got the news that an old boyfriend of mine had passed away.

Its been a bit of a roller-coaster of emotions about someone who was a huge part of my life for many years.
Our relationship was on and off so many times that we were  nicknamed 'liz and Richard' ( think about it).

It started in the summer of 1986 and was to continue albeit in latter years,as friends until I left for the icy wastes of the north.
we both married and I am pleased to hear that he was married to the end of his life, which makes me happy.

I cannot really take in that he is gone, but know that he is in a better place than in the last few months.

I will always be grateful for the love and laughs, the travels, adventures and friendship that we had.

I will recount on episode of our life together.

His boss let us have his villa in a tiny village in North East Spain, to get away for a week over one October half term  ( I was working at Merchant Taylors at the time).

We flew out from Heathrow to Barcelona, and having been picked up we were taken to the village.
The hire car was waiting ( a rust bucket Fiat Panda).

We headed to the local bar and then went back to the villa at about midnight.

As we had plenty of duty free gin but no tonic, and still wanting a drink, we drunkenly decided to have a bottle of his boss's wine from the rack.

It was a dusty bottle of fizz which we gulped down and then headed off to bed.

Waking up next morning realising that we had drank a bottle of his wine buff boss's stash, we decided that we would have to replace it.

So off to the supermarket...................then the one in the next town.............and the next and so it continued all week.

We had by this point  put aside a huge wodge of our cash to pay for the said bottle and were beginning to panic as we hadn't found a replacement.

Get to 2 nights before leaving still with wine money but little else money to spend.
We decided to walk to the bar and wandered down a wrong alley..................in which was a bodega.

Outside in wooden boxes was the said wine.

I quickly went into my handbag where I had the equivalent of £50 in pesetas.

'Do you think we have enough?' I asked.

Taking a bottle we went in to pay.

and came home with 20 bottles as it cost about 50p

RIP Jon

we had some fun times.





No comments :